First Published Aug 4, 2015
Potty Problems Facts And Five Natural Home Remedies To Relieve Constipation
Potty problems…we all have had them at one point or another. Constipation is medically described as a pronounced lack of ease of emptying the bowels usually associated with hardened stool. If you have frequented the toilet for just three times a week you are experiencing constipation already. Normally, people should have bowel movement every day. Severe constipation, however, happens when the bowel movement just happens once a week.
The slow movement of stool through the colon is the usual cause of constipation. This is usually caused by pelvic floor dysfunction and colon inertia triggered by low fibre diet, hormonal disorder, pregnancy, and poor bowel habits. Sometimes people with normal bowel movement can experience constipation just by delaying the call of nature when it is already time.
Constipated people usually experience gas, bloating and lower abdominal discomfort. Other symptoms include rectal bleeding caused by hard stools, straining or difficulty in passing stool and that feeling of incomplete emptying after a bowel movement.
The cause of constipation varies to each specific person. Naturally, the solution should be tailored to cure constipation according to the cause. When someone experience constipation the automatic solution that comes to mind is just laxatives but ironically they often worsen the problem. So before running to the drugstore for an over the counter antidote, try these five natural home remedies to relieve constipation.
1. Stay hydrated. The best lubricant in the world is water. You can never go wrong with it. Also, it is the cheapest home remedy for constipation you will find on this list.The longer you hold it in, the more water is absorbed from the stool which makes it harder to pass through. Water helps to flush out the toxins accumulated on the walls of the colon and push out other undigested materials.It also normalizes the colon movement to get everything moving normally again.
2. Fiber-rich foods.Fiber does wonders for our colon by acting like a sweeper or pipe cleaner. Fiber scrubs any food and waste particles on our digestive track that causes blockage and soaking up water that softens the stool. Fiber rich foods are easy to digest and give bulk to the stool making it easier to push out. High in fiber foods include oatmeal, bran cereals, lentils, barley, vegetables and dried fruits. Make sure to drink more water than usual to keep your stool soft and easy to eliminate.
3. Coffee, Tea and Juices. It is best to incorporate one or two of these drinks in the morning. These home remedies for constipation are readily available in our homes. Coffee acts a digestive stimulant that speeds the body up to frequent the toilet. Ginger and mint tea works best for those who are not a fan of coffee. Mint tea contains menthol which has an antispasmodic effect that relaxes the digestive muscles. Ginger has a warming effect that causes the body to generate more heat. This heat is needed to speed up the sluggish digestion. As for the juices, lemon juice is the best there is. The citric acid of lemon flushes the toxins out of the body and acts as a stimulant of your digestive system.
4. Know what to avoid. Prevention is better than cure. If you are already aware that you haven’t frequented the toilet for three or more days straight now avoid eating chocolate, dairy products, red meat, bananas and caffeine for the mean time. These foods drain out water that is needed to soften the stool.
5. Incorporate bacteria. Good bacteria, that is. Cultured milk and yoghurt contains probiotics which helps prevent constipation and lessen the severity of the situation if it persists. Enjoy a cup of yogurt in the morning with your regular breakfast and one more on its own as an afternoon snack.
Sometimes the best home remedy for constipation is just discipline. Respond to the situation. When you need to go the bathroom, just go. The body is already giving you a signal. It is right and just to heed the nature’s call. The more you delay the more you get clogged.