Once when my very fair, blond, blue-eyed daughter was about six years old, she “hugged” a tree that was covered with poison ivy. Since fair-skinned people are more susceptible to having an allergic reaction to both poison ivy and poison oak, and as you can imagine, it didn’t take long before she had eruptions on the inside of her arms and on her face. We tried everything. We took her to the doctor, and he gave her injections. We had prescriptions filled and bought all kinds of over-the-counter products all to no avail. The rash continued unabated. Then one day, after we had been fighting poison ivy for about six weeks without any luck at all, my husband’s grandmother came to visit. She took one look at the rash and said, “Black powder and sweet cream will heal that!” First I had no clue what “black powder” was. It turned out that black powder is gun powder. Sweet cream is what we know as whipping cream. My husband emptied the black powder out of a .22 short shell. I mixed it with whipping cream, and we applied it to our daughter’s rash. The rash disappeared completely over the next two days. You will NOT find that home remedy in any home remedy book, but it works. It REALLY works and it works fast.There are other natural home remedies that can also be used to treat poison ivy and poison oak rashes.
- Rub alcohol onto the affected area, then rinse it with water and wash with soap and water.
- Wet the infected area and rub plain table salt on it. This will relieve the itch and also stop further spread.
- Rub the inner side of a banana peel on the rash. curso fotografia basica . This will help relieve itching.
- Place the infected area under running water. This will wash away histamines which cause itching of skin.
- Pour 3 cups of oats into warm water and soak the infected area. At the same time, rub the affected area. Rubbing will relieve itching.
- Mix 1/4 cup of bleach with 3/4 cup of warm water and apply to the affected area using a sponge or washcloth. The bleach will kill the poison.
- Apply aloe vera juice over the affected area. Aloe vera will cool and provide instant relief.