Look Fresh and Young: Home Remedies For Acne And Pesky Pimples
Having a clean and clear face says a lot about a person; it is even more essential in the corporate world. This is why so many invest in skin care products to maintain a youthful glow on their skin. However, factors like environmental impurities, hormonal imbalance, stress, and also poor hygiene and hectic lifestyles often lead to facial skin problems like pimples, or even worse, an acne attack. In case of these outbreaks, it is important to know the root cause of the breakout and know how to approach the problem to prevent further damage to the skin.
It is good to know the difference between pimple and acne first. Pimple is an inflammation of the skin in which secreted oil or sebumgets collect and are trapped in the pores of the skin causing a breakout. Now acne is a more severe case of pimples. Both may or may not have a head but acne is associated with a white head and is usually painful to touch.
Depending on the severity of the acne case, one can tailor a specific skin care routine to relieve pimples and other effects associated with it. You must definitely know, however, that if your skin suffers from breakouts on a regular basis, it is wise to consult a dermatologist, have your skin tested, and use medicated and prescribed skin care products that have the right chemicals to better unclog the pores and disinfect the breakouts for faster healing. Otherwise, try these effective home remedies for relieving acne that are effective and offer long lasting solutions.
1. Baking Soda. Sodium bicarbonate, popularly known as baking soda, has a gentle exfoliating property. Exfoliating is the skin’s natural ability to self-remove dead cells on the surface of the skin. Applying baking soda hastens the process. This home remedy for relieving acne helps regulate the pH balance of the skin and also has a mild antiseptic and anti-inflammatory property. Just mix one or two teaspoon of baking soda with a little water, just enough to make it a paste, and apply it to the affected area. Rinse thoroughly after five to ten minutes with lukewarm water. This solution must be repeated only twice a week as it dries out the skin with excessive use.
2. Lemon. The acidic property of the lemon acts as an astringent that clears out accumulated dirt and hardened sebum in the pores. It also has antiseptic property that heals breakouts nice and fast. It can be used daily but if it dries the skin too much, can be limited to two to three days a week.
3. Oatmeal. Oatmeal is one of the most effective home remedy for clearing acne there is. Oatmeal cleanses the pores of dirt while absorbing excess oil in the process. Not only that, it also gently exfoliates skin. You can mix one teaspoon of honey and juice of half of a lemon in a cup of cooked oatmeal. Apply it on your face like a facial mask avoiding the eyes and leave it there for 30 to 45 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water and then apply your favourite moisturizer.
4. Apple cider vinegar. This regular kitchen condiment does wonder for our skin more than we know. Apple cider vinegar kills bacteria causing pimples, becomes alkaline and balances the pH level of our skin and acts as a powerful astringent to help dry up excess oil. Mix one part apple cider vinegar to three parts water, dip a cotton ball and apply to affected area. Leave it there for 10 minutes before rinsing off with lukewarm water. Make sure to apply moisturizer each time to prevent drying out and skin flaking.
5. Cinnamon and Honey. Having antimicrobial properties, cinnamon helps fight bacteria and honey is a natural antibiotic. Mixing a couple of tablespoons of honey with a teaspoon of cinnamon until it becomes a paste is very effective in getting rid of pimples. Rub the mixture on your face or on the pimples and let it stand for about 15 minutes. Rinse off with water and pat dry with a towel.
6. Papaya. Papaya is used in alot of beauty products today since it helps remove dead skin cells from the skin’s surface. Mash the flesh of papaya until smooth enough to apply to your face and leave it on for about 15 minutes, then rinse with warm water. This might leave your skin a little dry afterwards so you might want to apply a moisturizer after treatment.
7. Banana Peel. Bananas are very good for you, even the peels. Banana peels contain a powerful antioxidant called lutein that promotes cell growth and reduces swelling. Rub the peel all over your face and this should help the redness and discomfort. Leave it on for about 20 to 30 minutes before rinsing off.
We already know the causes and solution. Sure there will be a lot of time when we go home, feeling too stressed out and exhausted to even remove makeup, or wash our face before going to bed. But, clichéd as it sounds, prevention is far better than cure. However, when the acne is already there, keep in mind these cheap and simple home remedies for relieving acne for a quick fix and safe cure for pesky pimples.