I’d be willing to bet that there isn’t a human (living or dead) who has not had a headache at one time or another. Headaches are more common than the common cold. On the shelves of every grocery store, drug store, and discount department store worldwide, you can find an entire section dedicated to nothing but headache remedies.
Over-the-counter headache remedies come in liquid form, tablet form, capsule and caplet forms, and even power form. Now there is even one that you don’t swallow in any form, but rather rub on your head — you’ve probably seen that extremely irritating commercial.
Headaches can be caused by a great many different things, most of which aren’t serious. Eyestrain and stress can both bring on a headache. Allergies are often the cause of headaches. Overindulgence in alcohol can bring on a lulu of a headache the next morning. Other natural ways of reducing headache frequency is start a regular exercise program or stay physically active, practice a healthy diet, try relaxation techniques like meditation and yoga, make sure you’re getting enpough sleep and, if you smoke, quit. Illness and disease (some serious ones) can also be the cause of a headache. Some people suffer from chronic headache problems like migraines and cluster headaches, as well.
Headaches that are caused by chronic problems or those that are caused by illnesses or diseases should always be treated by a physician. However, for just your occasional garden-variety headache, there are some very effective home remedies and natural treatments that you can use to stop the headache and help you avoid taking those over-the-counter medications with all of the dire warnings of possible side effects printed on the labels.
- A healthy lifestyle that includes a balanced diet, exercise and positive thinking can help to prevent all headaches.
- A cup of warm chamomile tea will help to calm, soothe, and relieve a headache.
- A cold compress on the forehead can help to relieve a headache.
- Apple juice with a little salt added will relieve headaches as well.
- A warm cup or two of peppermint tea.
- Pour a cup of boiling water over 2 tablespoons of marjoram, wait a few minutes and drink.
- Feverfew taken daily helps eliminate migraines.