Having a full head of hair is not essential to life, but some people see it as an essential part of a satisfying life. Hair loss or hair thinning is seen as a visible indication of the aging process, and many people want to grow older but do not want to LOOK older. So preventing hair loss has become a big business today — a very big business.
For some women, seeing a hair brush full of hair causes mental anguish and some men see baldness patterns developing with equal anguish.
The human body produces hair in follicles, which are minute pockets in the skull. Growth at the base of the follicle, called the papilla, is what actually produces hair when a special group of cells turn amino acids into keratin. Keratin is a type of protein from which the body makes hair. The rate at which the body produces these protein “building blocks” is the determining factor for the speed of hair growth. The average growth rate of human hair is about 1.2 cm per month. That’s average, but hair grows fastest on women between 15 to 30 years of age. Below are some home remedies and natural treatments for hair loss.
1. Heredity probably has more to do with hair loss than any other factor, but a poor and unbalanced diet can certainly contribute to the problem. A diet that is deficient in vitamin B6 or folic acid promotes hair loss. Foods that contain vitamin B6 are fortified cereals, bananas, salmon, chicken, turkey, potatoes, spinach, and hazelnuts.
2. A high level of stress can also contribute to hair loss. Consciously reducing stress and avoiding stressful situations can help to prevent early hair loss.
3. Vigorously rubbing the scalp daily to help blood circulation can help to delay hair loss.
4. A mixture of equal quantities of fresh amla oil and lime juice when used as a shampoo will stimulate hair growth and help to prevent hair loss.
5. Drink a half liter of lettuce and spinach juice mixture daily.
6. Alfalfa juice with carrot and lettuce juice promotes hair growth.
7. Mustard oil mixed with lawsonia (henna) leaves keeps hair well conditioned and healthy.
8. Make a paste from Margosa and Coriander leaves and gently rub it into the hair, let stand for 10 to 15 minutes and rinse.
9. Coconut milk rubbed into the scalp to penetrate hair roots helps in the prevention of hair loss.
10. Rubbing the scalp with onion can stimulate hair growth. Onion contains high levels of sulphur which helps in circulation and has been known to help stimulate hair growth for people with deficiencies.
For more on hair loss, visit Medline Plus>>
Leading International hair health specialist, Jonathon E Phillips shows how to stop and prevent male and female hair loss and strengthen, revitalize and restore thinning hair, without involving cost, treatments, products or drugs.