Gout is a form of arthritis that usually begins in the big toe and then, as it progresses, affects other joints. In the beginning, battles with gout are relatively short-lived, but as the disease progresses, they become longer and more painful. Gout most often affects middle-aged men, but it can also affect women after menopause.
Sometimes gout is referred to as a disease of the wealthy because it is believed that rich foods and lack of exercise cause the disease. Heredity, alcoholic drinks, regularly eating foods that are rich in protein and carbohydrates, lack of exercise, and stress are all contributing factors of gout.
Gout is caused by a buildup of uric acid and left untreated can cause permanent damage to the kidneys. The diet can be one of the main causes of the rise in levels of uric acid. High purine foods (shellfish, red meat, poultry) and fructose and sucrose sugar derivatives should be limited.
Gout isn’t a new disease. It’s been around for a lot of centuries, so you know that there are home remedies for treating gout. A few of the more effective home remedies for gout are:
- Eating cherries (and lots of them) is said to keep gout at bay. Fresh cherries are best, but if you don’t have fresh cherries, the canned ones will do. Start by eating about 25 cherries every day. Then after about two weeks, reduce the number per day to about 10.
- Consume large quantities of raw vegetable juices every day. The juices of carrots, beets, and cucumbers are especially helpful.
- The malic acid in fresh apples is believed to neutralize uric acid. Eating one whole apple (including the skin) after each meal is said to relieve gout.
- Drinking a glass of water with the juice of half a lime squeezed into it is said to help relieve gout.
- Eating a diet consisting of nothing but bananas for three or four days will relieve an attack of gout. Eat 8-9 bananas each day and nothing else.
- Devils Claw, extracted from the grapple plant, is often used as a pain relieving treatment for gout.
- 500 mg of Vitamin C a day can greatly reduce uric acid. Taken along with other home remedies is a good natural treatment for gout.
- Olive leaf extract has been researched and looked at for some time, and has become a much talked about ingredient used in the treatment of fevers and infections. Aslo used for the treatment of gout.